Friday, March 21, 2008

Bits & pieces, mights & maybes

I've already posted pics of the cherry that I'm going to use for the body. That pic also showed a Tele shaped body template, so no prizes for guessing what I'm thinking of building. Depending on how it goes, I might try to be a little bit clever with the construction though (that sounds like over-confidence and un-based ambition, even to me!).

I might also be adventurous (for me) and try to make the neck from scratch, rather than re-finishing the £5 eBay "bargain". I'd use some of the cherry for that as well. Of course, then I'd need to add in the cost of the truss rod, and the fingerboard, but the finished guitar might be more satisfying and less Frankenstein-like. And teles are easy to build, right? !!

A lot of the hardware is coming from Timmyo's capture of a Tele copy. The body and neck are headed elsewhere, but I'll be using a lot of the hardware in this build. I might swap one of the pickups out though, depending on how it sounds and what budget I have left. I might then use a coil tap if I swap one of the pickups out for a humbucker ...

I'm currently on the Bailey BYOG course, so the £100 challenge is really well timed to make sure that I get into my workshop when I get back from the course, and see how much of the course content I manage to remember ;-)

No comments: