Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bah

As this build is a fairly "traditional" Tele-type, the strings will go over the bridge and through the body (rather than being anchored behind the bridge).

That requires me to drill 6 holes through the body. That bit's easy, even for me. However, it gets a little more difficult because it looks a whole lot better if the holes line up in a nice straight line, and even spaced, when you look at the back of the body.

So I have to drill the holes perfectly vertically (in both planes) and perfectly equidistantly spaced. Suddenly, it's not looking quite so easy.

But, perhaps it's not a huge problem either as I have a drill press and I can use a ruler ...

So I thought. Unfortunately, the "throat" (is that the right word?) of the drill press was too small to be able to fit the body into ... so I couldn't use the drill press to drill the holes. Arrgghhh. Instead, I had to use an ordinary hand-held drill. Look out for the pics at the weekend to see how it went ...

More positively, I read a forum post about shaped Tele bodies. And I thought ... "why not?". When you've drunk as much Adnams as I have, you need a belly-carve. So, rather than being a fully traditional Tele-body, it's now going to be a "Tele with a belly" carved body ... far more practical and comfortable, though it means that all of the sanding I've done on that part of the body back is now completely wasted because I'm about to attack it with a rasp!

No update pics today, and probably no time for working on the guitar tomorrow ... but the weekend schedule says "guitar, guitar, guitar", so there should be a lot of good progress to report over the weekend. Which is lucky, because the challenge ends next weekend ...

No comments: