Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nearly, nearly there

With a little help from some people more knowledgeable than me, I finally got the wiring sorted out this afternoon. A task that should have taken 30 minutes ended up taking me way too many hours, spread over a couple of days.

So, I strung the guitar and screwed everything in place, just to check that the guitar "worked" and felt reasonably OK.

A couple of quick pics, just to get an idea of how it looks ...


That's a one-piece Cherry body, with a maple neck & rosewood (I think) fretboard. Humbucker in the neck position, and a standard Tele-type single coil in the bridge.
There's still plenty of finishing off to do - get the string trees and strap locks fitted, sort out the action properly, get the control knobs on, maybe a quick fret dress, add another coat (or two, or three) of finishing oil ... but I've got until Sunday lunchtime to get it all done before the challenge ends, so that shouldn't be a major problem. Oh, and I should probably add a decent earth wire to the bridge too - this guitar is a little noisy and crackly when its plugged in ...
When all that's done, I'll take some better and more detailed pics to show it off properly.
I reckon it's cost me about £75 in parts & materials to build it. Not bad?
Now, what next ...

No comments: