Sunday, February 22, 2009

This weekend, I have mainly been sanding.

Then I tried some staining ... which led to some more sanding!

My original idea was to stain the 2 routed front sections in a different/contrasting colour. I had some wood stain around, so tried it. And it looked badly horrible. So out came the sanding paper again, and I rubbed a few more fractions of a mm off the top of the body. Now I'm trying to work out how to finish it.

A quick test fit of the various components, just to make sure that all was OK (I'm using different pickups to the originals)


Both the pickups are humbuckers from Iron Gear (thanks to Keith at Axetec again). The neck is a Rolling Mill 2 (a mini HB as you can see), and the bridge is a Steel Twin (2 stacked coils). The mini toggles will split both of the pickups, and I've got an active tone control (a "Vintage Tone Booster no less!) to add in as well.
That lot should make for some interesting sounds from this guitar, as well as the standard Tele twang.
I'm thinking about leaving this guitar in open G permanently, with some heavy strings (12-52s ?), for a heavy Stones-esque rhythm machine ...

No comments: