Sunday, February 15, 2009

Today I have mostly been in my workshop

Seeing as how it's no longer freezing out there, I decided to start my £100 challenge guitar, #2, today. Only 2 weeks late.

I was going to start yesterday. But apparently yesterday was "Valentine's Day". Which meant an 8am trip to Tescos' flower department, and a hurried lunch reservation. So, no guitar work yesterday. Excellent lunch though.

I'm basing this year's guitar on last year's. After I built the Cherry Tele last year, I really didn't play it. It wasn't really a great guitar. It wasn't really good either.

So, I decided to try to make it into a better guitar as part of this year's challenge. The work will involve:
- making the guitar look a bit more interesting
- making the guitar more comfortable to play
- making the guitar sound better

I have a vague plan, and I've ordered the bits from Keith at Axetec. All I needed was some new p'ups (Iron Gear again) and a stereo output jack.

Here's some progress pics ...

The "plan" is to stain the freshly cut areas (which are currently very white!) in a contrasting colour to the rest of the body, and to do the back of the neck in a similar contrasting colour.
The neck p'up will be a mini HB, coil split via one of the new switches. The bridge p'up will be a Tele shaped/sized stacked HB, again coil split via the other new switch. I've then got an active tone control which will replace the standard Tele tone pot, with the battery going into the rear cavity.
That should sound better. Or different.

1 comment:

gaspar said...

i have a kawai ks-11, i've noticed you want one.
the problem is i am in argentina rigth now and the fact that the guitar has a little crack on the upper side, where the strigs go attached.
if you are so much interested that you will do anything fot the guitar send me an e-mail:
bye! and sorry for my lousy english